Saturday, August 27, 2016

First Day of School

The Summer went by so fast this year, and I was not ready to send my kids back to school. For the most part they were ready.  Of course, they would have been fine with being lazy a while longer, but they were excited to be back with friends, recess, and sports.

The first day of school felt surreal to me...like it really wasn't happening. My body was just going through the motions. Even though there weren't really any nerves (for the kids), I had a hard time convincing anyone to eat breakfast.  They all just pushed it around their plate for a while and then rushed off to brush their teeth.





Jacob wanted to ride the bus. He had a slight twinge of guilt for not letting me take him but not enough for him to actually let me take him.  Dallin entertained the idea of taking the bus, but he let me take him. There was never a question with Katelyn, she always wants me to take her.


After a few pictures and hug for Jacob he was off to the bus.  Then after a short wait, we loaded in the car, and I took the other two. Katelyn had to wear her peer mentor shirt to school.  She was kind of bummed that she didn't get to wear one of her new shirts but also glad because she was having a hard time choosing one. She was off with a smile and wave goodbye.











I walked Dallin up to the playground. While I was trying to take his picture, a girl from his kindergarten class came running up and surprised him with a hug attack. Then he ran off, waving bye to me before I could get one of him alone. I hurried back to the car before I burst into tears on the playground.








The morning was pretty quiet and Kinlee felt out of sorts. She followed me around the house and started asking about 10:00 if it was time to pick up the kids yet.

I passed the time by cleaning the house...especially Jacob's room.  He has been in charge of it all Summer, and I really haven't done anything to help him out so it was pretty gross.





Finally 3:00 rolled around and we were able to pick Dallin up. He said that his first day of school was "horrible". I guess he has to sit between two boys who are kind of "naughty", and it is driving him crazy. :) He did say that he really likes his teacher and playing at recess.  Jacob had singing practice and Katelyn had volleyball practice so I had to wait a little while to hear all about their days.

I know we will eventually get into the swing of things, but I can't help but long for our lazy summer days back.


No comments:

Post a Comment