Not this last Saturday but the one before that (because that's how I roll), Katelyn got to participate in Honors Festival. Like most things she signs up for, she was super excited about it in the beginning, but as the day got closer and she realized she was going to have to give up almost an entire Saturday of lounging at home she began to be less enthused. Thankfully Mrs. Bischoff reassured her that she would have a good time and that she had saved a special part just for her and another girl.
She had to be at the bus by 8:00 a.m. which was set to leave for Powell at 8:10. After getting a few snacks for the trip at Maverick, I dropped her off a couple of minutes early so I could rush over to Family Dollar to get her a new pair of black pants and get them back to her before they left. (They had to wear black bottoms, and the only pair of black pants she owned had a hole in the knee. And of course neither of us discovered this until she got dressed that morning). I made a mad dash and was proud that I had gotten in and out of the store in less than 5 minutes but it proved to be in vain because the bus had already left by the time I got back to the school. I have never known a bus to leave 5 minutes sooner that it was planned to, because more often than not there are 1 or 2 kids that are running late, but of course it would be the one time I needed them to be a few minutes behind that they weren't. It all ended up fine because we just got to the concert a few minutes early and after lots of hugging (we had been apart for 6 hours you know) I hurried her off to the bathroom to get redressed.
Mrs. Bischoff wasn't fibbing when she said that she had saved a special part for her because Katelyn and her friend Adessa were chosen to do the dancing portion of the concert....the other kiddos got to sing in either the choir or play the recorder. Katelyn spent the hours before the concert learning and perfecting the sword dance, tinikling, and the may pole. It was so fun to watch her, and she did such a good job. I was one proud momma!
After the concert, we stole her away and brought her home with us but not before we made a dinner stop at Pizza Hut. Katelyn was pretty exhausted and had tired feet from a non stop day of dancing. She also claimed to not be very hungry, but as soon as the pizza got to our table she changed her mind and downed two big pizzas of pepperoni lovers. :)
I wish that I could have gotten more pictures, but I was lucky to even get these...although I did have to pay a price for them. The drive to the concert fell right at Kinlee's nap time, and she only ended up getting about 20 minutes of sleep or so...not enough. She had a hard time sitting still and being quiet at the concert which means Jason and I took turns watching the concert from the hall. I snuck in and snapped these pictures with one hand while I held Kinlee in the other. When I finished, I wondered how Kinlee had held still long enough for me to take them, and then I realized it was because she was preoccupied twisting my hair into a gigantic knot. I tried to undo it while I was waiting for Jason to file out, but it was definitely a two handed job. I was so embarrassed and tried not to let people see me. After lots of pulling and combing and a couple of prayers that I wouldn't have to bust Dallin's school scissors out of the jockey box I finally go it out. Oy vey!








No comments:
Post a Comment