Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Reading

At the beginning of the summer, I told the two older kids they had to read 20 minutes each day before they could watch TV or play the computer and their Ipod. Katelyn is pretty good about it because she loves to read, but Jacob on the other hand has read less than 200 minutes all summer. It's too much of a fight with him....which I don't understand because he is so smart and can read just about anything.  The other day when we went to the library, he chose a book about football (of course) that was meant for an adult. I thought for sure it would be too hard for him, so I had him open up the book and read a little bit to see how he did.  He could read the whole thing except for some of the names. I couldn't believe it.  How can someone who is so good at something, not enjoy it in the slightest? He has even used the word hate when it comes to reading. Anyways...when we got home from the library I made a vow to be better about enforcing the reading rule.  Even though he might not enjoy it, there are going to be lots of times in his life when he will have to read so he better get used to it.

It hasn't been fun for either of us, but he has gotten it done the last couple of days.



Dallin got to play train tracks instead of reading...lucky boy!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment