The kids were just as excited as I was. The day after Thanksgiving the tree went up, along with all the decorations. I have paired down my decorations quite a bit from previous years. I've learned that if I put out a few simple things, and not clutter every space, I don't get sick of it being out.
Kinlee called the stockings "sockingtons"
We made our traditional Christmas truffles and delivered them to a few families around the neighborhood. Katelyn and Jacob put together little gifts to give to their friends, and we attended the ward Christmas party. We only made it out once this year to look at Christmas lights. We read our stocking story most nights, but we didn't get around to reading very many of our story books. I'm hoping to be better about that next year. Unfortunately December is a pretty busy month. I would be perfectly happy to hole our family up and enjoy every day within the walls of our home.
Dallin wanted to make sure he got his order in for football cards,
but Jacob thought he was too old and only went through the line for candy.
Kinlee really wanted to talk to Santa but was so nervous. Thankfully aunt Dani was there to help her. The only time she moved her head from Dani's shoulder was to get her candy bag.
And look at the cute little Santa's helper back there!
Dallin made these cute little frosted Christmas trees at library.
And then he came home and planned a family home evening for each of us to make our own.
(my grocery list and instructions)
In years past we have done graham cracker houses, but we liked these even better...much simpler and much less expensive
Christmas Eve was with the Reasch family this year, and we held it at our house. We had the famous Christmas Even smorgasbord with a little bit of this and little bit of that. The kids dressed up for the nativity, and I gave a short Family Home Evening. Then it was out for Christmas deliveries and back home for the unwrapping of new pajamas...even though they already know what it is, the kids are still so excited to unwrap that first gift.
(Treyson wanted nothing to do with photos)
Christmas morning was early and magical, just like Christmas morning should be. The kids strung out opening their presents for about 3 hours because they wanted to unbox and play with each thing as they went. I made cinnamon rolls in between the unwrapping, and then we spent the rest of the day being lazy. We ended the day with ham and leftovers at Bischoffs, and a walk down memory lane listening to old records on the player we got them for Christmas.
Dolores made all the kids a quilt for Christmas this year. They are so soft and warm, and something they will treasure for the rest of their lives I'm sure.
As quickly as the decorations went up, they came down. I don't like having them up after the day is over. To me, it is a cruel reminder that I have to wait 11 months for another Christmas season.
Jason took the week off between Christmas and New Years, and it has been wonderful having him home. I have loved having his company and his help, plus he has made me breakfast almost every morning. I don't know what I am going to do with myself come Monday when I have to get out of bed before 8:00 and fix 3 meals a day. I'm sure I will feel lonely until I get back into the swing of things.
Only 145 days until summer vacation, but who's counting?!






No comments:
Post a Comment