Friday, November 22, 2013

A Change for the Better

For the past little while, I have noticed a change in myself for the better.  I'm happier, I'm more patient, and I feel like my mind is clearer and able to notice the blessings around me more than I have in the past.  And after thinking about what I've done different in my life that would bring on such a change, I came to the conclusion that it is my absence from Facebook.

At the beginning of the year, I narrowed down to who I could see in my feed to just my family and close friends, but somehow I could still spend a good chunk time reading about everything everyone had to say and looking at the links to things that people had posted...that, the time itself, was part of the problem. But there was something else.

I rationalized that Facebook was a good way to keep in touch with what was going on in peoples lives, but after logging out from "catching up", I would find myself thinking about all the things people had posted...problems people were having in their lives, things people were doing, rants and complaints. I would find myself feeling annoyed or frustrated and sometimes even angry with people who posted things that were ridiculous or hurt mine or my family's feelings...things that I wouldn't have known about or wasted my thoughts on if it weren't for Facebook.  Of course there was the good stuff, but it can all just be a bombardment that leaves little time and space in my (already fried) brain for good things...real good things...like my kids' needs, the quiet whisperings of the spirit, my blessings, ideas for my home, family, and calling and to me that was the biggest problem with Facebook in my life.

I knew that by staying off Facebook, I might be clueless in some conversations, but that was a risk I was willing to take and can now say hasn't really been a problem at all. I was worried that I would miss out on things that are going on with the ones I love, but if we really are that close I shouldn't need Facebook to know how they are doing; and if they aren't that close to me, then there is no reason for me to feel annoyed that they are posting what they had for breakfast or what some clerk said to them at the store. :)

I hadn't been on Facebook at all for a while then the other day I got an email notification telling me that I had a message in Facebook.  I worried that it was a mom of an activity day girl needing something so I logged in to check it out. While I was there I browsed around for a minute or two and read a few things, but it didn't take very long for that dark (for a lack of a better word) feeling to come over me, and I clicked out of there immediately.

Facebook can be used for so much good (sharing pictures and sending birthday wishes :), even missionary work), and normal people may be able to log in, catch up and be done with it; but for me, the negative (how easy it to be mean to people, the complaining, so many things to take offense to, the brain space) has a way bigger effect in my life.

I like being happy. I like thinking good of others. I like feeling calm, so I'm thankful that I've been able to notice this change in me and know what to do to keep it around.

Happy Weekend!

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       


No comments:

Post a Comment