There was lots of cooking and eating, lots of visiting, lots of cousin play, mixed with movies and popcorn and sleepovers and crafts and rock hunting and football and Christmas decorating. In other words, everything a Thanksgiving weekend should be.
Jason took time off work and has been home with us since Tuesday night. That is the main reason this weekend has been so great for me. Two of his sisters, Trisha & Janae, came up with their families which meant friends for the kids so they were in heaven. My sisters were home from Laramie and it was good to catch up with them and have them love on my kiddos. And if it weren't for the excitement of the Christmas season, I would be bummed that it's all over.
We hosted for Thanksgiving this year, and it went well. We had 27 people total for dinner, and boy did the extra space from the addition come in handy. People were able to spread out and visit. Kids were able to go to separate spaces to play; and even though it was kind of chaotic at times, I never felt like it was crazy. Having a big table that everyone could sit at and visit and play games on after dinner was over was a lifesaver. I wouldn't hesitate to entertain for that many people again.
There was only one stressful moment for me, and it was during prep. Everything was pretty much ready to go, people were walking up to the door, and I went to check the potatoes one last time before straining them only there was nothing there. I knew Jason had peeled a big stock pot full, but they must have completely dissolved because when we drained the water off there was barely enough potatoes to feel a colander. I panicked inside but Jason and my sisters in law quickly helped me start another batch and it turned out just fine. We had lots of food leftover, but we divided it all up amongst families and it fed us the rest of the weekend.
My uncle asked me if I had any help with the dinner, and I replied "Jason". But that wasn't really true. It's not like I was doing everything and Jason "helped me out". We were both in there together. We both got the turkeys in the oven first thing in the morning, we both tidyed the house, we both worked on the side dishes.
There is not "a woman's job" in Jason's mind. And he is a machine. When I am exhausted and I feel like I can't take another step, he keeps on going. He works circles around people. While I was doing a craft at my in laws, I watched Jason out the window putting Christmas lights on our house (because he knows I love having lights up), but that was after he had helped me make breakfast for the crew that slept over at our house, and got the kids dressed and washed the kids' beds and cleaned the whole house and washed all the kids clothes and put Kinlee down for a nap and spray painted branches for my activity days and built a frame and a million other things.
I really hope my boys grow up to be like him. He is my hero! He even makes apple swans for crying in the night. I pulled into the driveway after going to the grocery store Wednesday morning and noticed, through the window, Jason sitting at the kitchen counter...which I thought was weird because he isn't usually sitting down unless its meal time. When I walked into the kitchen, I found this....
He was pretty proud of himself. He had seen it on facebook and decided to give it a try. It made me laugh. Katelyn tried it a couple of times, but couldn't get it as nice as Jason's:) He is a man of many, many talents.
Saturday night, after things calmed down a bit we decorated our Christmas tree. We got a new, bigger tree to put out in the family room, and that's the one I let the kids decorate any way they like. I have smaller one out in the living room that I plan to decorate the way I like :) It's a good compromise. We are all very excited about the Christmas season. We've been enjoying Christmas music for a few weeks now, and we went out for Christmas light ride tonight. The kids put the first ornament on the tree advent calendar today, and we read the first story out of our collection tonight before bed. This really is the most wonderful time of the year!
There is not "a woman's job" in Jason's mind. And he is a machine. When I am exhausted and I feel like I can't take another step, he keeps on going. He works circles around people. While I was doing a craft at my in laws, I watched Jason out the window putting Christmas lights on our house (because he knows I love having lights up), but that was after he had helped me make breakfast for the crew that slept over at our house, and got the kids dressed and washed the kids' beds and cleaned the whole house and washed all the kids clothes and put Kinlee down for a nap and spray painted branches for my activity days and built a frame and a million other things.
I really hope my boys grow up to be like him. He is my hero! He even makes apple swans for crying in the night. I pulled into the driveway after going to the grocery store Wednesday morning and noticed, through the window, Jason sitting at the kitchen counter...which I thought was weird because he isn't usually sitting down unless its meal time. When I walked into the kitchen, I found this....
He was pretty proud of himself. He had seen it on facebook and decided to give it a try. It made me laugh. Katelyn tried it a couple of times, but couldn't get it as nice as Jason's:) He is a man of many, many talents.
Saturday night, after things calmed down a bit we decorated our Christmas tree. We got a new, bigger tree to put out in the family room, and that's the one I let the kids decorate any way they like. I have smaller one out in the living room that I plan to decorate the way I like :) It's a good compromise. We are all very excited about the Christmas season. We've been enjoying Christmas music for a few weeks now, and we went out for Christmas light ride tonight. The kids put the first ornament on the tree advent calendar today, and we read the first story out of our collection tonight before bed. This really is the most wonderful time of the year!









No comments:
Post a Comment